Peter J Mercer-Taylor
College of Liberal Arts
- Portrait Image:
- Job Title:Associate Professor of Musicology and School of Music Director of Graduate Studies
- Department:School of Music
- College/Organization:College of Liberal Arts
- Contact Phone:612-624-0385
Areas of Expertise
Areas of Expertise:
- Felix Mendelssohn
- History of popular American music and culture
- 19th century Romantic German music
- Music history 1750 - 1900
- American hymnology
- "Between Hymn and Horror Film: How Do We Listen to Cradle of Filth?": Mercer-Taylor, Peter, ed. Eric Christianson and Christopher Partridge, Equinox, The Lure of the Dark Side: Satanism and Western Demonology in Popular Culture, 39-59, 2009.
- "Beyond 'the Herald Angels': Recovering Mendelssohn the Hymnodist": Mercer-Taylor, Peter, CrossAccent: The Journal of the Association of Lutheran Church Musicians, 17/2 19-35, 2009.
- "Bill Staines's 'Bridges' and the Art of Meta-Folk": Mercer-Taylor, Peter, The Journal of the Society for American Music, 1/7 423-52, 2007.
- "'Stupid, stupid signs': Incomprehensibility, Memory, and the Meaning (Maybe) of R.E.M.'s 'Sidewinder Sleeps Tonite'": Mercer-Taylor, Peter, The Musical Quarterly, 88/3 456-86, 2005.
- "Mendelssohn and the Institution(s) of German Art Music": Mercer-Taylor, Peter, ed. Peter Mercer-Taylor, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge Companion to Mendelssohn, 11-25, 2004.
- Cambridge Companion to Mendelssohn. Mercer-Taylor, Peter, Cambridge University Press, Editor, 2004.