Minnesota Invests in Excellence
To understand our state’s investment in University of Minnesota excellence in teaching, research, and public engagement, you need a clear picture of the U of M budget.
U of M Budget Basics
- Our budget is more than $3.8 billion
- Roughly half the U of M budget is restricted funding or self-funding
- Operations funding is less than half the U of M budget
- Operations funding goes to core U of M education, research, and public engagement
- Operations funding has two primary sources: tuition and state appropriations
Learn more about how we're cutting administrative costs.
Find more information about the U of M budget.
Find more information about the Annual Operating Budget.
Regents approve FY18 operating budget
The budget focuses on access and affordability while making strategic investments and saving costs where possible. Learn more about the University's budget.
State investment supports the U’s work
The state has shown great support for the University’s work in advancing the health and economic well-being of all Minnesotans. Read President Kaler’s response to the 2017 legislative session.
The U’s budget: context matters
President Kaler has made constraining Minnesota resident tuition increases a priority. Read Brian Burnett’s letter to MinnPost.
Excellence Inspires Innovators
The real “return on investment” for Minnesota lies in the excellence of U of M graduates, who bring their skills and expertise to every employer and community. They are Minnesota’s innovators and problem solvers, today and tomorrow.
The U of M's Impact Is Statewide
- 5th largest employer in Minnesota
- 26,000 employees statewide
- $8.6 billion generated each year for Minnesota
- 100 startups launched by U of M grads since 2006
- 80% of Minnesota's new physicians train at the U of M