Tomorrow’s Visionaries Need Focus Today
Our graduates shape the future. Watch "What is a Research University?"
At a Glance
History and Traditions
- Established in 1851 in the Twin Cities (Minneapolis and St. Paul).
- Minnesota's flagship, land grant university
- Between 1947 and 2006, four additional campuses joined the U of M: in Crookston, Duluth, Morris, and Rochester.
- Colors: maroon and gold
- Twin Cities mascot: Goldy Gopher
- Nickname: Golden Gophers
Leadership and Faculty
- Board of Regents
- President Eric W. Kaler
- Provost Karen Hanson
- Senior Leadership Chart (PDF)
- We’re ranked by Forbes as one of the 10 best educational employers in the nation.
- Our 4,000 faculty include members of the National Academy of Sciences, the National Academy of Engineering, and the Institute of Medicine, plus the American Academy of Arts and Sciences, among other bodies.
- Current and former faculty have won Guggenheim Fellowships, MacArthur Fellowships (“genius grants"), Nobel Prizes, and other significant honors.
Students and Alumni
- 32,300 undergraduate students study on the Twin Cities campus
- 16,700 graduate and professional students
- 6,100 international students, from 142 countries
- 2,500 students study abroad—3rd most among U.S. universities
- 400,000 alumni
- Famous alumni include Norman Borlaug (Nobel Peace Prize-winning agronomist), former Vice President Walter Mondale, satirist Garrison Keillor, and Super Bowl championship coach Tony Dungy.
- Our alumni have started 10,000 companies, employing 500,000 and generating revenue of $100 billion.
All above data is current as of December 2014.
We are Minnesota's research university. We change lives—through research, education, and outreach.
We seek new knowledge that can change how we all work and live.
We prepare students to meet the great challenges facing our state, our nation, and our world.
As a U of M student you'll engage with your professors and fellow students from the very beginning. And you'll develop your strengths with beyond-the-classroom experiences.
We apply our expertise to meet the needs of Minnesota, our nation, and the world.
This website is new. Please give us your feedback.